Essay:Describe some people who have inspired you and explain why they are so inspiring.

[Descriptive-Discursive Essay]

  "It's a lie to think you're not good enough. It's a lie to think you're not worth anything." This was said by one of the most inspiring people of my life, Nick Vujicic. The inspiring people in my life are there to encourage and spur me on, regardless of whether I have met them before. Even if they are living thousands of kilometres away, through how they lead their lives, they make an impact in my life in one way or another. I will be sharing more about some people who have inspired me- Nick Vujicic, Choi Siwon and Dr Tan Cheng Bock.
  Imagine yourself being born without any limbs. How would you feel? Dejected? Full of grudge? Or will you simply want to blame the world and give up on life? For Nick Vujicic, although he struggled mentally, emotionally, and physically due to his disability since birth, he eventually came to terms with it, even challenging the odds and attempting what most people think people with a physical disability cannot do- swimming and skateboarding. I also find the fact that Nick is able to type with his two toes on his feet vey astounding. As he calls it, this "chicken wing" of his helped him to attain a Bachelor of Commerce degree, with a double major in accountancy and financial planning. He made me rethink the challenges that I currently face. They seem so meagre as compared to the obstacles he overcame. Now, Nick Vujicic is a motivational speaker, bringing hope and meaning in life to others and touching the lives of many around the world. Therefore whenever I am facing examination stress and feel as if the world will fall apart, I will press on because of Nick Vujicic's inspiring story. He gives me the motivation to hang in there and persevere till I overcome my challenges.
  Next, another person is Choi Siwon. He is a member of the South Korean boy group Super Junior. Yes, he is an idol, but he is not just an elegant "vase" for admiring as he is equally inspiring as well. Well, do not be fooled by his looks. Choi Siwon is a humorous person who always adds a little more laughter to the lives of those who view his posts on social media such as Facebook and Twitter. Not only do these posts make my day, but they also constantly remind me that my life should be filled with fun and entertainment and I should take a break and have a laugh sometimes too. However, that is not the only reason why he is inspiring. His heart of gold is what makes people become his fans. His schedule is undoubtedly packed to the brim, but during his mere one or two weeks of free time in a year, he still makes an effort to take the time off to volunteer at orphanages. He does it not for any ulterior motive, but just so that it brings the children in the orphanages a day or two of happiness. Through this example of his, fans like me have been inspired by him to carry out kind deeds too. Although I am not earning an income, I still try my best to contribute in the little ways that I can. For example, in my free time, along with many other fans, I play games on a website that raises funds for rice to be donated to the needy in the name of Super Junior.  Therefore, Choi Siwon's kindness has inspired me to become a kinder person who reaches out for those in need through simple actions.

  Lastly, I will be sharing more about Dr Tan Cheng Bock. This name may sound familiar to those who live in Singapore. This is because Dr Tan Cheng Bock contested as a candidate for the presidential elections in Singapore in 2011. Then, what makes him so inspiring to me? He is a compassionate, caring and modest doctor, who is also selfless in serving the people. Now, he has retired from his job, but in the past, he had a clinic of his own. If he understood that a patient is not doing well financially, he will not charge him any fees, not even for the medicine. He feels that health cannot be compromised, so he would rather choose not to collect the doctor's fees than to let the patient stay at home and suffer because he cannot afford to see a doctor. He has taught me the importance of generosity and staying humble despite being successful. I have been inspired to share with others what they may not have, and care for the needs of the others, such as my friends. Personally, I have met Dr Tan Cheng Bock and he spoke to me. Even though a generation gap is present, he is concerned about my opinions as a youth and is very open to all my views. He told me, "Stand up for what is right, and though rules are in place, they may not necessarily be always right." I have always kept this sentence close to my heart and say that to myself whenever I lack courage. Other than this, he offered me some useful advice and spurred me on in my future endeavours. Well, up till now, I can vividly remember talking to Dr Tan Cheng Bock in the clinic. He is indeed a wise role model that I look up to, who has encouraged me to be a person who upholds principles and is not to be afraid to speak up for what is right.

  To sum it up,  Nick Vujicic, Choi Siwon, and Dr Tan Cheng Bock are some people who have left an impact on my life. Through their actions and words, they motivate me to become a better person in terms of my character. They remind me that life is meaningful, exciting and I should step out of my comfort zone to challenge my limits, One day, I also aspire to become an inspiring person just like them.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Essay: Describe a crowded shopping mall during a sale.

Essay:What are some advantages and disadvantages of private tuition?

A Compilation of Secondary School Essays